Egypt is a gorgeous country with an amazing history. It is an amazing place to visit. (Though don't go now- wait until it's safe!) I didn't manage to put down ALL the temples and tombs we got to see, mostly because I'm already listing 19 things and it'll start to blend together if I put too much more!
1. Abu Simbel
2. Pyramids of GizaWhen you think Egypt, this is probably what you think of- the Pyramids of Giza. They are located just outside of Cairo. The pyramids are huge, HUGE! Movies and photos can't show the massive size of these pyramids.
|See those small things in front of the pyramid- those are people and camels- 2 blocks are the height of a person or a camel. Crazy huge pyramids!|
If you are planning on a camel ride in Egypt, I recommend doing it here- you get amazing views!
|Holy cow that's a huge boat!|
3. Temple of Isis
|The Temple of Isis on an island in the Nile.|
|Gorgeous pink flowers by the beautiful Temple of Isis.|
4. Temple of Hatshepsut and Valley of the Queens
|Temple of Hatshepsut.|
The Temple of Hatshepsut is out of this world. It is located just below the Mountain of Thebes. The temple is epic.
5. The Step Pyramid of Djoser
|Step Pyramid of Djoser.|
6. Valley of the Kings and Mountain of Thebes
|View of the Valley of the Kings from Mt. Thebes.|
7. Kitchener's Island
|Boat on the Nile viewed from Kitchener's Island with pretty pink flowers.|
8. The North Pyramid (The Red Pyramid) and The Bent Pyramid
|View of the North Pyramid from the Bent Pyramid.|
|Climb up the Red Pyramid.|
|The inside of a pyramid! Talk about vaulted ceilings!|
The Bent Pyramid is interesting because of its unique shape. While no one is entirely sure why it's built this way, what most people see as most likely was that the Egyptions were still trying to figure out the transition from step pyramids to the smooth ones. They began building the Bent Pyramid, but it was too steep and started showing signs of weakness, so they continued building, but changed the angle- giving it a pretty, bell-like shape.
9. Library of AlexandriaWhile the ancient Library of Alexandria was sadly burned to the ground, there is a modern one. The outside is beautiful and lovely to see.
10. The Nile
Obviously if you go to Egypt, you have to see the Nile. The river is wonderfully unique in that it is the only major river in the world that flows north! It is truly a gorgeous river. In ancient times hippos, crocodiles, and alligators. After the Aswan Dam was built, there aren't any north of the dam. While you don't have to worry about the dangers anymore, it is disappointing to not be able to see them. You can still see papyrus and Ibis, gorgeous white birds.
Nothing is quite like viewing a sunset on the Nile.
|Gorgeous sunrise on the Nile.|
11. Luxor Temple and KarnakThe Luxor Temple and Karnak are two incredible temples to visit.
|A slatted window where the women could look out over the goings on.|
12. Unfinished ObeliskThe Unfinished Obelisk would have been the largest obelisk in the world, if it had been finished. Holy cow, it was HUGE! The problem was that it was so big, that before they could even finish it, it cracked. There was no way to get it out or finish it without destroying it. It is so cool to see how obelisks were made and what could have been!
13. Mosque of Muhammad Ali
The Mosque of Muhammad Ali is located in Cairo. It is a gorgeous mosque- truly beautiful to see.
If you are a woman visiting, please cover your hair and as much skin as possible to show respect. Luckily, if you don't have your own hair cover, they have ones you can borrow. (Fortunately I had a gorgeous shawl I bought from a souk.)
|View of Cairo from the Mosque of Muhammad Ali.|
|View of the Pyramids of Giza from the Mosque of Muhammad Ali.|
14. Colossi of Memnon
|The Colossi of Memnon.|
15. Fort Qaitbey
16. Cairo Souk
17. Medinet HabuMedinet Habu is a temple built by Ramses III. It is another gigantic temple. Most of the carvings focus on Ramses III's battle and triumph over the sea peoples.
|I love this- ancient Roman graffiti in Latin- B. Mure; is stupid. |D|
18. Hanging Church (Al-Muallaqah)The Hanging Church is a gorgeous christian church in Cairo.
19. The Roman Amphitheater of Alexandria
|The Roman Amphitheater of Alexandria- gorgeous!|
Thanks to Dr. and Dr. Redford for the information about Egypt. Note, all this information is based off of my memories of their lectures from 6 years ago- while I've left out any information I'm not entirely certain of, feel free to google and double-check. After all, this is mostly so you know the cool places to go, not to give a huge history lesson.
Find More Cool Places To Explore!
See More Photos From Egypt