Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Campfire Kebabs Recipe

 

One thing I love is kebabs. Sticks with meat on them- what's not to love?! So usually when we camp, my husband and I stick to tried and true sausage, toasted bread, and s'mores diet, but this trip I decided to experiment more. I'm glad I did! Luckily, Oleg told me of a trick his grandfather would use when they'd go camping in Russia- marinate the meat in vinegar. Hey, it keeps my Berries Fresh- so I figured it as worth a shot. (We still made sure to eat the meat within the first couple days since our stomachs aren't as iron-clad as Russian-borns and I'll put the little disclaimer now- while we were fine, I can't guarantee it and eating raw or unrefrigerated meat comes with risks.)  It was easy and delicious.

Ingredients You'll Need:


Chicken Breasts (I only used 2 and it was more than enough)
Can of Pineapple (Remember to bring a can opener or make sure it has the easy-peel top!)
1/2 Red Pepper
Russet Potatoes
Peas
Vinegar
Italian Dressing
Kebab Sticks
Rosemary
Garlic Salt

Directions:

At least the day before you leave, cube chicken breasts and red pepper. Place in a container. Add  garlic salt and rosemary.
 Pour Italian dressing over the chicken and peppers.
Cover with vinegar (I reused the vinegar water I washed my Berries in.)

You can add the potatoes and peas in the marinade as well, but I think they were better left out. Throw them in the freezer. This way you'll keep them cool longer and it'll double as a giant ice cube. At the campsite skewer chicken, pineapple, peppers, potatoes, and peas on sticks.

Roast over fire.

 I used the technique my husband taught me that makes the best campfire sausages. First smoke it by holding it over the fire. This adds a delicious smoky flavor. Then hold it over warm coals or above the fire to cook it. Finally thrust it right into the fire- this sears it- giving it a delightful crispness.  Enjoy! They're delicious and satisfying!

More Tasty Recipes!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment