Friday, July 5, 2013

The World's BEST Lasagna Recipe!




No, seriously, this IS the world's best lasagna. I've fed it to friends (as a thank-you for helping us move (everyone had at least 2 pieces and were nearly too full for the Caramel Cookie Dough Cake!)) my in-laws, my husband, and my own, picky self. Everyone is always floored. The meat sauce has seriously ruined me for every other meat sauce. I can't order spaghetti or lasagna anywhere else because the meat sauce tastes terrible compared to the one in here.

Ok- now bad news/good news. To do it right, it does take 2 days to make. Good news- if you're desperate for it you can make it in about 2 hours. (Including cooking and prep time.) I've only ever skimped on the time once and it was still pretty darn good (ever since I've gotten pregnant I've been OBSESSED with this lasagna. I made a pan just for me and my lovely hubby is not allowed to touch it- so even baby loves this lasagna!)

The other good news is that it Freezes very well! So make a big batch and save some for later!

Ingredients You'll Need:

2 1/2 Lbs Ground Beef (how did I get this number? Before I discovered 10 lb ground beef I would always buy 5 lb ground beef, split it in half, use half now and half later.) Can I use just 1 lb? No- use at least 2.
1 Polish Kielbasa- Cubed (in your grocery store under the pre-cooked sausage section)
1/2 White Onion (yellow works too.)
2 Cloves Garlic- Chopped
1/2 Bag Spinach- Chopped

1 (28 oz) Can Crushed Tomatoes (Can I crush fresh tomatoes instead? -I've tried it, but it threw off the balance of flavors, so I wouldn't recommend it.)
2 (8 oz) Cans Tomato Sauce
2 (6 oz) Cans Tomato Paste
½ Cup water
2 Tablespoons White Sugar (or Splenda)
2 Teaspoons Basil Leaves
4 Tablespoons Parsley- Chopped
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
½ Teaspoon Ground Pepper
18 Oz Feta Cheese- yes, Feta, not Ricotta. My favorite is Tomato and Basil Feta- I always use that.

½ Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Egg
1 lb Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
12 Lasagna noodles

Directions:


Heat in pot:
Sausage
ground beef
chopped onions
chopped garlic

Brown ground beef, sausage, onions, and garlic on medium-low heat.

Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, spinach and water.
Add sugar, 2 tea basil, 2 table parsley, 1 tea salt, 1 tea Italian seasoning, ½ tea pepper
Cover pot and let simmer on low for 1 ½ hours. (1 hour also ok.)
For best results let sit in fridge for 1 day- it really does make a difference- the flavors blend and meld together delightfully!

Preheat Oven
350 F

Soak 12 noodles in hot tap water for 15 minutes 
Mix:
feta cheese
½ nutmeg
1 egg
2 tablespoons Italian parsley
Layer noodles, sauce, and cheese in 9X13 baking pan
Cover in foil
Bake for 25 minutes
Remove foil and bake for another 25 minutes 


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Sounds delicious!! And Congrats!! When is the bundle of joy due to arrive??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, it really really really is. It's all I've been eating for half a week now (and berries and green apples.) Thank you! :D Probably sometime mid-February to mid-March! :)

      Delete