Monday, September 16, 2013

3 Oktoberfests: Which Oktoberfest Should I Go To in Ohio?

Obviously this is not an exhaustive list. I will be comparing 3 major Oktoberfests in this area- the Zincinnati Oktoberfest (in Cincinnati,) the Dayton Oktoberfest, and the Columbus Oktoberfest. 

Dayton Oktoberfest


I love, love, love the Dayton Oktoberfest. It takes place by the Dayton Art Museum. There is an entrance fee, but if I remember correctly, it was pretty small, plus you don't have to pay for parking. It is lovely. My favorite time to go is during the day because it's peaceful and quiet and a great way to enjoy yourself in a biergarten. There are vendors that set up by the art museum and it's really lovely work! My husband got me a gorgeous copper-colored leaf vein necklace last time we were there. You can also explore the art museum itself. A ton of amazing food is there to try! There's the German food, natuerlich, but also other delicious dishes- cheesecake on a stick, Asian dishes, Greek dishes, all sorts! I hear that if you go in the evening it's the party that most people look for when they think of this holiday with rowdy drinking and comradery, but I think I'll stick to the beautiful, peaceful day. Because I can sit in the grass and quietly enjoy a Schmidt's cream puff, this is one of my favorites. We definitely plan on hitting it up in the morning this year. 


Columbus Oktoberfest

The Columbus Oktoberfest is a lot of fun. We got the coolest candle there last year. (See Leo's Oktoberfest Adventure.) There's a pretty wagon set up for photo opportunities too. It's a lot of fun for people in the area and we enjoyed ourselves. However, we don't plan on going this year. The hour-long drive is a bit much for what was there. We love sitting out and under the sky, while most of the tables for the Columbus Oktoberfest are under roofs. You also can't purchase anything with money- you must buy tickets and purchase food with the tickets- which is a bit of a pain. (Though Columbus has German Village- a must-see amazing place with beautiful brick roads and amazing German restaurants!)





Zincinnati Oktoberfest


We loved the Zincinnati Oktoberfest when we went two years ago. They shut down down-town Cincinnati to hold it! It is the largest Oktoberfest in the country! See shops, rides, ferris wheels set up in the down-town of a large city. There are polka bands everywhere and I mean everywhere! Eat your pretzels and sausages under The Genius of Water or in one of the very lovely parks. I'll never forget how my husband whirled me around in the flowers to a polka song. :) Plus, if you go on Saturday you can see a very unique sight- the world's largest chicken dance. It's sure to be delicious and delightful! If you live near, or far, you absolutely must come to Cincinnati and see the Zincinnati Oktoberfest!









See More Things To Do In Ohio!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment