Monday, December 9, 2013

Puerco Pibil Recipe




Puerco Pibil (also known as Cochinita Pibil) has been a family favorite for years! It's a delicious traditional Mayan dish. I believe my little sister got the recipe from the movie, "Once Upon a Time in Mexico," (I know the inspiration to find the recipe came from the movie) and we've loved it ever since! We've even gotten to try it in Cancun, and this recipe is just as good as what we got down there! Any time my family makes it everyone loves it. I've made it for the teachers at my student teaching and the teachers at my inner-city middle school job and everyone loved it. I've had a lot of people ask for the recipe, so I figured I'd post it here to make it easier to share!

Ingredients You'll Need:

5 lbs Pork (if you get less pork still keep the same amount of the other ingredients- believe me, you cannot have too much of this amazing sauce!)
5 Tablespoons Ground Annato Seeds (also known as Achiote)- this is the most important ingredient. It has such an amazing flavor and I now add it to make my Taco Meat much better!
2 Teaspoons Ground Cummin Seed
1 Tablespoons Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
2 Teaspoons Ground Allspice
2 Tablespoons Salt
8 Cloves Garlic
1 or 2 Habanero Peppers
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1/2 Cup White Vinegar
5 Lemons
Splash of tequila (we never have any so I never add the tequila and it's still amazing.)

Directions:

Take the dry ingredients and mix them in a bowl.
 Chop the garlic and habaneroes and add to the mixture.
Add the wet ingredients and mix.
 Place the pork in a slow cooker. Pour the mix over the pork.

Cook on slow heat for 5-8 hours. (You can do the higher heat for 3-5 hours, but it's really not as good- I highly recommend the longer time, it really does make a difference!)

Serve with corn, greens and rice and enjoy! It's amazingly delicious and flavorful with unique spicing and coloring!



Try More Tasty Recipes
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment